Obladi oblada-Life goes on

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I have started most of my new classes now. My schedule and impression is:

Speech: 2:00-3:15 MW
The teacher seems really cool. She is full of energy and is a dynamic speaker. The idea of getting up and doing speechs still kinda scares me, but I am looking forward to becoming a more confident speaker. My first speech is Monday. I have to give a 2-3 minute speech about my partner. My partner is a senior who is a dance major at UMKC. She will be giving a speech about me as well. We will have to write papers at the end of the course about each other's progress through the class.

Writing and Technology: 5:30-6:45 MW
This is a pretty small class. This is my teacher's first time teaching the course. It is a writing intensive course so we will have several essays to turn in throughout the semester. My first essay is due next Wednesday. It is about a quote that I find on technology. I have narrowed my search down to two. I am still debating which one will give me the most room to write a paper on. We also have four books that we will be reading. The first book is about building a bridge to the 18th century in order to learn more about our culture and its technologies. This will probably prove to be the course I have to do the most work in.

Intro to the Visual Arts: (internet class, so watch two lectures at my leisure).

My first video lecture was pretty boring. It is rather funny because you can tell they were taped in the early 90s if not the late 80s by the clothes and glasses the kids in the class are wearing. I am hoping once they get past the introductory stuff the class becomes more interesting. I will probably watch my second lecture tomorrow.

Society and Community Service: (a weekend class that meets three weekends out of the year, the first being this weekend).
I am hoping this class will be interesting, if not it could prove to be a LONG weekend.

Clinic: still have on Monday mornings.
As exciting as always. This Monday a patient I had seen in March came back to see me again. Upon looking up her history, I discovered that the mammo I ordered in March had come back and showed my patient (a 68-year-old woman) had breast cancer. I was so thankful that I had remembered to order a mammogram for her when she saw me in March. Her cancer was caught in a very early stage and hopefully she will be cured with removal and a little radiation. The woman's cancer was so deep that she could actually not even physically feel it. If I hadn't done it, how long would it have gone? The doctors usually don't remember to ask about health maintenance if we don't. It kind of put some of my faith back in clinic, that what we are doing can save a life.

Medical Decision Making
: starting in September every Tuesday from 5-7.

This class has several sections. The first section is about interpreting studies. I am hoping it will prove to be fun, but I have my doubts.

Well, that's the load. I am hoping I learn a lot and have some fun doing it!!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home