Obladi oblada-Life goes on

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Hello everyone! I know it has been awhile. Just wanted to write an update of what has been going on and what is next for me.

This month I have been on my Behavioral Science rotation. We have learned about development, psychiatry, medical finance, and ethics. I have only had class for two hours a day, so this was a pretty easy load, which = lots of free time, which = not updating blog, haha. I have my final examination (our only measure for our grade) today. It is a national test and we are required to score a certain score for a passing grade and another score for honors. I have heard it is super easy, so I really hope that is true.

Interesting story. This Sunday, I volunteered at the Sojourner Free Health Clinic. It is a clinic run inside a church that is run by medical students from my school. This was my fourth time to volunteer there. At the start of clinic, I was helping triage people and get their vitals. One man I helped had lots of questions about myself and the clinic. I answered him to the best I felt comfortable. He was dressed in a tattered shirt and a stocking cap and fit the bill of our other homeless patients. He wrote on a notepad occasionally. As I am about to put him in a room, he tells me he is from the Kansas City Star and would like my full name for an article. So, not sure what to do, I ask him if he has proof that he is from the paper. He pulls out a business card, "Lewis W. Diuguid, Vice-President and Community Relations." At this point, I am not sure what to do, so I refuse to give my last name to him. He is insistant that I give it and I am insistant I do not. So, Mr. Diuguid was seen and left the clinic. Later, I looked him up on the KC Star website, yep it was him. He was undercover to see what how homeless were treated. Feeling very dumb, I decided to email the man on the card and explain why I had not given my full name. He wrote back a very nice email and even included a story he had written about Truman Medical Center a few years back when he played a homeless person. (Truman exceeded his expectations, if you were curious). He thanked me for the wonderful care that I had given him and told me that I should be proud of my care. So, always remember you never know who you are taking care of. Be sure to give each patient the treatment you would want a family member to receive! And watch out in the Star for the article.... :)

1 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Oh my gosh, Sarah, this is SUCH a cool story! I will be looking in the STAR for the article. Too funny. I can't believe it, LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home